How to write a functional resume is one of the important questions that you need to understand first before start writing a resume for any job position. There are basically 2 types of resume namely, chronological resume and functional resume. Chronological resume is used by most of the companies, as the recruiters require the full history of the candidates including professional and personal. This is mostly used by freshers or candidates who have just completed their professional degree/course. A functional resume is second type of resume that deals with highlighting the important aspects of the resume in such a way that it compels the recruiter to have a personal round of interview with the candidates. This type of resume focuses on the skills (professional and technical), qualities and strength, career objective, etc. Basically this resume is drafted by those individual who keep on changing their job profile or they have a gap in their career.
There are some points that need to be considered before drafting functional a resume such as
- The resume should have a professional approach such as use same font-name and font-size throughout the resume. Avoid the use of fancy bullet points in your resume and try to be short and precise in providing the information.
- Make section and sub-sections in your resume and highlight the sections in an effective manner. Clearly mention the points and make sure that there is no redundant information.
- Use simple language while drafting the resume avoid the use of jargons and complex sentence, as it might be difficult for the reader to understand
- Re-check the resume at least twice and thrice before sending it to the recruiter so that you can remove the errors (if any). The errors include spelling mistakes, wrong sentence construction, vocabulary error and grammatical errors.
- Make sure that you attach a cover letter with the resume, as it gives a professional outlook to the resume. Do remember to include your past experience as well because many applicants do not include their past experience.
- Do remember to include the reference details (name of the referral, their designation, email id and contact number), so that the recruiter can get extra information about the applicant.
Let us see a sample resume for the position of Administrative Assistant, as it will help ypu in drafting a well-planned and customized resume.
Donald S. Bachus 2849 Poling Farm Road, Lincoln, NE 68522, United States Phone: 402-300-3351 Email id- firstname.lastname@example.org
I am seeking for the position of an administrative assistant in your organization and want to build a long-term career with your organization.
I have a total experience of 6 years in this field and currently I am working by ZS Association for the last 3 years, as an Administrative Assistant. I am a hardworking person with a excellent communicational verbal skills.
Skills and Qualities
- Excellent management and analytical skills that helps in preparing strategies for increasing the productivity of the company
- Well-versed with the knowledge of the domain, as it helps in achieving the goals in an effective manner
- Good grasping power and attentive to details that leads to the completion of the target within the given deadline
- Willing to work in any shifts and can adjust in any environment as per the requirement
- Positive attitude and excellent problem solving techniques that helps in resolving the issues in the best possible way
- Self motivated, organized and enthusiastic person
Designation: Administrative Assistant Organization's Name: ABC Groups Pvt.Ltd., New York, United States Duration: October 2009-till date
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervise the work of workers and co-workers so that the work is completed within the deadline and is delivered to the clients/customers
- Provide training to the new joined employees and let them know about the policies and regulations of the organization
- Prepare strategies and discuss it with the manager for execution
- Conduct a open-group session with the employees in the team so as to clear their doubts
- Perform other duties in the organized, as assigned to them
- Master's Degree in Business Management MBA (Human Resource) from New York University, New York in the year 2008
- Bachelor's Degree in Mathematics from New York University, New York in the year 2006
- High School Diploma from Alfred High School, New York in the year 2003
Name: Alot Pascal
Designation: Assistant Manager
Organization: ABC Groups Pvt.Ltd, New York, United States
Phone No: 987-999-8892
E-mail id: email@example.com
The above sample for the position of administrative assistant will provide you the answer to how to write a functional resume. You can also refer to free resume sample for your further reference.