Writing a good resume requires lots of patience. A well-drafted resume is a primary need for applying for any type of job. Drafting a creative and good resume needs to have some of the essential points such as: it should highlight the credentials, it should have a clear job objective, listing of skills and qualities, mentioning the experience in a positive manner and the contact details along with the telephone number and email address, as this is the only possible way the employer can contact you for further reference.
Basically you need to select a specific format first for designing your resume. This is very important because there are various types of resume such as chronological resume, functional resume, combinational resume, etc. Chronological resume deals with the overall history of the candidate, which includes the present and past working history, educational qualifications and training, career objective (aim for drafting the resume and the position for which you are applying), skill set and core competences, awards and recognition, contact information and personal details. Usually this type is used by college students, who after completing their professional degree, apply for a job in the corporate field. The main advantage of this type of resume is that the recruiter can have a clear concept about the candidate's personal and professional life and on that basis they can make correct judgment. Many companies consider this type of resume, as they find it easy and straight forward in taking decision about the candidate. This type of resume is beneficial for those candidates who have a long-term career with their previous organizations.
Another important type of resume is the functional resume that focuses on the skill set and professional experience of the candidate. It includes the project details, internship and other professional course related to the job. It is beneficial for those candidates who keep on switching their job profile. The main aim of writing this resume is to highlight the essential feature of the resume in an effective manner. Next comes the combinational resume that comprises of both the chronological resume and functional resume. Combinational resume eliminates the drawbacks of chronological resume and functional resume. It is a descriptive type of resume, but highlights the credentials and other essential elements of the resume.
Let us now have a look at how to write a good resume with the help of a resume template. The sequence of the resume is as follows:
- Contact and personal information: This is the first section of the resume that contains the name of the person applying for the job, home address, telephone number email address, social security number, birth date, and citizenship. Make sure that these details are perfect and relevant so that the recruiter can contact you for further reference.
- Career Objective: This is the second section of the resume, as it carries 2 points such as the purpose of writing the resume and the position for which the person is applying. Be clear in writing the aim for the resume and show your willingness in joining the organization.
- Skill set and core competences: This is one of the most important sections of the resume that highlights your professional and technical skills in a positive manner
- Work history: This section involves the total working history of the candidate applying for the job. It includes the position of the candidate in the present company, the name of the organization, duration of the work and most importantly the duties and responsibilities that the candidate undertook during his tenure in the company.
- Education and training: This section deals with all your educational qualification in reverse chronological order, i.e. starting with the higher degree and goes on. It also includes your certification course or any diploma course that you possess. Also, include the project details with a short summary of the project.
- Awards and recognition: It includes the awards that the applicant received from the organization. Use bullet points to mention the awards and recognition.
- Reference: Reference is the last section of the resume that cats as a career booster. It helps a lot in settling an interview with the recruiter.
This is how we you can write a good resume for any of the job openings. You can also refer to some of free resume templates for getting more information.
Tags: #resume writing